Need help running Linux with Regnum Online

Here you will find sections to treat any problem your having.

Moderators: Wyatt, Council

Dracice
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Need help running Linux with Regnum Online

Unread post by Dracice » April 5th, 2010, 1:03 pm

everything seems fine...
Last test :
try to install and run OpenArena (if u have fast internet, is in repo ,section:games , it is 3D game using direct rendering,if will run as well -> bug is in regnum )
Dracice ⚔ [60] : Salamek ⚕ [30] : Caprica Six [50]

Anpu
Pledge
Pledge

Unread post by Anpu » April 5th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Someone summoned me ?
Right, lets solve this problem. :geek:

Yes, we have exactly same cards. ATI Radeon 9250 is AGP 8x.
That card lost any kind of support by ATI long ago. The only hope is of course open source drivers.

True, I had "satisfying" performance (comparing how old my PC is), but things have changed to worse after graphical Regnum updates.
That means: you will no longer (for now) be able to run Regnum in Normal mode (fixed pipeline, shaders even forget). Currently, Regnum only works in Safe mode. :(

So, you have 2 options:
Option 1: install (K)Ubuntu 9.04, which might work (for me it worked but before)
Option 2: install (K)Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 1 Lucid Lynx and add one repo in your sources.lst

Bonus options:
1) throw away your PC, remember to buy Nvidia and Nvidia only next time
2) buy some Nvidia that suits your current PC (but little warning is nothing much you will get from it, AGP is kinda ancient for cards)

Lets get back to options 1 and 2.
There was one problem with Mesa, which was introduced in version that came with (K)Ubuntu 9.10. It was some problem in allocation memory and few other bugs/lib problems. Back when I used option 1, it was previous version, which worked "fine". With every kernel update and Mesa update, things are changing.

Option 2 is what I am using now.
STEP 1: You need to do following: run command for upgrading to 10.04 beta 1, wait till it downloads packages, installs etc.
More about how to upgrade for 9.10 to 10.04 you can find here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades/Kubuntu (Kubuntu manual)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades/ ((K)Ubuntu manual)

STEP 2: sudo apt-get install driconf, or type in your Package manager "driconf" and install that package.
Then, open Terminal and type: driconf
Go to Image Quality tab, "Enable S3TC texture bla bla", set to: "YES"

STEP 3: After that, you need to add following repo:

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu lucid main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu lucid main 
Just add them in your package manager, or in sources.lst file, your choice. :)

CHECKPOINT 1:
lets check what we did so far.
Type in Terminal following: lsb_release -a
you will get something like:
LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu lucid (development branch)
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid
I put in bold what you should check. That confirms you are running 10.04 beta 1 OS.
Then, type in: glxinfo | grep OpenGL
You should get something like:
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R200 (RV280 5960) 20090101 TCL DRI2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.9-devel
OpenGL extensions:
Our card belongs to R200, and we need Mesa 7.9-devel.
After that, type: glxinfo | grep direct
You ll get this: direct rendering: Yes
Answer MUST be "Yes" for this command, or else something is wrong.

Now, if all is fine, do one sudo apt-get update and then, sudo apt-get upgrade, and sudo apt-get autoremove, to make sure all is up to date.

After that, start Regnum, tick Safemode and rock'n'roll :twisted:
In case you go with only fixed pipeline, you will have probably Segmentation fault and/or CPU will go crazy, RAM maybe too. Dont worry, just kill Regnum process and that ll solve problem. :)

FPS? I have 7-20. But even then, Regnum is not totally unplayable. In big fort fights, you will experience sometimes position lag, like not displaying "on time" current enemy position, resulting that something you hit from 20m away is actually in front of you (at the end you ll see him/her on right spot though but with some delay). For smaller fights and solo hunts, it might work much better. For grind is totally ok. But (K)Ubuntu versus any Windows, regnum is much smoother, for example, you dont have "hickups" while running and what not (Linux has better memory management than Windows, thats why). The best is to experience yourself.

What to say, long post, many info for you, and you will probably have some issues. Whenever I am online, you can find me @ my clan IRC room (freenode network, room #inquisition).

Good luck! I ll keep monitoring this thread to check your progress. ;)

P.S. Is Starshine alive :!: :?:

P.P.S Ah, one thing. Regnum 64bit somehow is sometimes more "friendly", especially with accessing Amun, than 32bit version. I am using ATM 64bit OS and Regnum, and its ok. I forgot which CPU you have, but I believe its 64bit.

Wyatt
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Wyatt » April 5th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Thanks Anpu !

This will probably help a lot :). I will get working on this right now ^^ :geek:

P.S. Yeah Starsita is alive, she's been busy though, not sure how much this week as she has vacation, but she is alright

/me gets to work !

Thanks!
Wyatt is so juicy, he's such a badass. he is fearless, he is like this carnal, feisty terminator type. he is really naughty and that makes him so much fun to play. Wyatt rocks!

Out here in the edge of the universe, who you are, what you believe, is everything!

Anpu
Pledge
Pledge

Unread post by Anpu » April 6th, 2010, 6:17 am

Hm I think I forgot to add that you need to install one more lib. I forgot if by adding repo I posted above (or it was repo of migrog?) you can access it from package manager and installs it (which would be more convinient for your current knowledge of Linux, than by forcing you to compile everything by yourself). Lib is libxtc. I will see if I can find some deb version of it, there should be some. In case I dont find, you can always manually compile it. Instruction: http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/forum/sh ... ostcount=1

Samuel David
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Unread post by Samuel David » April 6th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Hope it will work well for you . But i don't really have idea how this is working.Sorry
Sam
Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?
Sam

Wyatt
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Wyatt » April 13th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Thanks Anpu for this

I will wait until (K)ubuntu official new release before trying again.
Wyatt is so juicy, he's such a badass. he is fearless, he is like this carnal, feisty terminator type. he is really naughty and that makes him so much fun to play. Wyatt rocks!

Out here in the edge of the universe, who you are, what you believe, is everything!

Kaspi
Pledge
Pledge

Unread post by Kaspi » April 15th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Whatever is crashing your client, the problem should be written in a regnum log file. Either ~/regnum/live/error_log.txt or ~/regnum/live/log.txt. (if your regnum install dir is ~/regnum)
Once you play, play to win.

Wyatt
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Wyatt » January 12th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Quick question guys.

If I wanted to run the game, say, on Wine, would I be able to under Linux Ubuntu?

Can you provide the steps here I need to follow?

Thanks!