Need help running Linux with Regnum Online

Here you will find sections to treat any problem your having.

Moderators: Wyatt, Council

Wyatt
Administrator
Administrator

Need help running Linux with Regnum Online

Unread post by Wyatt » April 3rd, 2010, 4:02 pm

I plan to run Linux on my PC.

Ubuntu Linux.
I plan to delete my current Windows XP partition before installing Linux.

Last time I tried Linux I loved it with the exception that I was not able to run Regnum Online because it crashes with OpenGL.

PC Specs:
RAM : 2GB
Dell Corporation
Graphic Card: PCI / ATI Radeon 9250 256MB Aproximately.

I need any tips on how to run Regnum fine with these specs. Any help will be appreciated.
Wyatt is so juicy, he's such a badass. he is fearless, he is like this carnal, feisty terminator type. he is really naughty and that makes him so much fun to play. Wyatt rocks!

Out here in the edge of the universe, who you are, what you believe, is everything!

Deathscythe
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Need help running Linux with Regnum Online

Unread post by Deathscythe » April 4th, 2010, 4:31 am

hmm I will ask dessertpanther, because he is playing RO only with Linux^^
On the german site is a client for linux maybe this would help you http://regnum.gamigo.de/download/

edit: he said just download the client and it has to work^^

THE GOD OF DEATH IS BACK FROM HELL!!!!

Dracice
Development Team
Development Team

Unread post by Dracice » April 4th, 2010, 3:48 pm

sorry, but u grafic card is very old , proprietary drivers from ATI/AMD don't sussport it anymore , but IDK how it run with open source drivers , u must test it
solution: Try it, though it will have a poor performance so buy a nvidia graphics card( better or try change it for equivalent)
The only problem I see is the grafic card
If you need advice, contact me
Last edited by Dracice on April 4th, 2010, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dracice ⚔ [60] : Salamek ⚕ [30] : Caprica Six [50]

Wyatt
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Wyatt » April 4th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Where are open source drivers for it?

I see Anpu uses the same card as me and his performance with Regnum is great. Not sure what he uses, but he has the same card as me and has great performance.

I think I have a good PCI card unless I am missing something, if so, can you direct me to the best PCI Card?

My PC is from 2004 or so and don't have a PCI-E slot, so I can only go with PCI and unfortunately I can't upgrade to a better computer.
Wyatt is so juicy, he's such a badass. he is fearless, he is like this carnal, feisty terminator type. he is really naughty and that makes him so much fun to play. Wyatt rocks!

Out here in the edge of the universe, who you are, what you believe, is everything!

Dracice
Development Team
Development Team

Unread post by Dracice » April 4th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Ok so, open source drivers is instaled by default , Install Linux simply, make updates, then install Regnum and try it , if u have any problems pm me, i will help u
Dracice ⚔ [60] : Salamek ⚕ [30] : Caprica Six [50]

Wyatt
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Wyatt » April 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Thanks Dracice your the best :D

As soon as I get Linux I will let you know by here :)

Friti

Unread post by Friti » April 5th, 2010, 1:52 am

Hmmm... My advice would be to try and get a hold of an nVidia card. Contrary to ATi, nVidia keeps supporting their older cards in their drivers.

However, no matter which brand of card you use, as long as it's supported by the proprietary drivers, your card will be detected, and Ubuntu will alert you that there are drivers available for your card.

Another piece of advice that i can give you, is to install Ubuntu alongside Windows at first (that's an option during the installation of Ubuntu), then mess around with it a little, get to know the OS, and once you are confident that you can get everything to work the way you want, you can wipe the machine clean, and reinstall Ubuntu.

P.S. I have been a happy Ubuntu user since about 5 years, and use it for everything, including playing Regnum :-)
If it ain't broken, i'll fix it!

Wyatt
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Wyatt » April 5th, 2010, 1:58 am

Hey Friti,

Thanks for the feedback and help. I will try what you have said and see how that goes for me :).

I might not try getting a Nvidia card yet though, will try currently with my ATI Radeon 9250 and see what I can do first.