[HOWTO] Install latest Nvidia driver on Debian

Here you will find sections to treat any problem your having.

Moderators: Wyatt, Council

uga
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

[HOWTO] Install latest Nvidia driver on Debian

Unread post by uga » April 2nd, 2013, 5:24 pm

!!! DO NOT ISSUE COMMANDS WITHOUT READING AND KNOWING WHAT THEY DO !!!
!!! SEE WHAT YOU NEED TO TYPE AND CHANGE - IT CAN VARY IN SOME CASES !!!

!!! NVIDIA NEVER PUT OPTIMUS SUPPORT ON LINUX !!!
!!! IF THIS IS OPTIMUS LAPTOP YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL OTHER SOFTWARE - BUMBLEBEE OR STUFF !!!

Usually Debian and Ubuntu have Nvidia drivers included. If you have recent hardware or you want latest ones you can use this.

First depending you are 32 or 64 bit distro download appropriate driver from: ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/

32 bit

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/

64 bit

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/

You can use their site it will give you same installers when you filter and stuff. Usually for starters use their site. They keep several driver families depending to hardware. When you know what to use you can use FTP site too.

Next step is to install linux headers and compiler stuff:

Code: Select all

apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
So far you are ready to go. If you have nvidia driver see what it is called in synaptic for example. You will need to deinstall it too.

Next logout user and press CTRL + ALT + F1 to go into console. Login as ROOT.

Time to stop XORG:

for gnome:

/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
for kde

/etc/init.d/kdm stop
lightdm

/etc/init.d/lightdm stop
This is needed because installer will detect X server runing and will refuse to continue.

Next we give execute permisions to downloaded installer. For example.

chmod u+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-313.26.run
Next we start it. For example..

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-313.26.run
If you have Nvidia driver it will refuse so uninstall it before. If you have noveau it will generate you a script you need to copy to blacklist it. Then restart again and continue. Be carefull and not panic if you are left without xorg - just log into sinlge user mode and continue.

If nvidia driver is build with other compiler version installer will refuse to install too. Read messages and see what compiler he wants. For example following.

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.6
Then if all is fixed again....

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-313.26.run
Follow menus agree to licence and stuff and you will have driver installed. Then you have to restart.

Keep in mind that if you change kernel, driver can stop to work properly. I usually update kernel and then reinstall driver. Steps are same as installling except that i deinstall driver before.

nvidia-installer --uninstall
That's it. Good is to have this or other howto at paper because you can be left without X server and will have no way to read in internet. Be prepared for everything including fixing.

Kaye
High Council
High Council

Re: [HOWTO] Install latest Nvidia driver on Debian

Unread post by Kaye » April 2nd, 2013, 10:40 pm

I could never get Bumblebee or Ironhide to work >_<
Remember reading somewhere that nVidia is working on Optimus drivers for Linux now though
Other games I play:
Tribes Ascend- Kaye ; HoN- Kaye23 ; STO- Kaye, Kae ; BF3- KayeAurelius ; Neverwinter- Kaye, Kae, Kay
Blacklight Retribution- Kaelin(US/AU), Kaye(EU)

uga
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Re: [HOWTO] Install latest Nvidia driver on Debian

Unread post by uga » April 3rd, 2013, 1:15 am

Some laptops have option in bios to force nvidia card, but this affects battery life. I never got my hands on optimus laptop, so i can not test how it is. I read on some forums that nvidia wanted a parts of linux kernel under different license, so they can use them to implement optimus. I guess we have to wait for that.

I use my desktop on linux only and i buy my hardware with mind to work good on that os.